Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Journey Through The Global Village of Guatemala



This past weekend April 22nd - 24th, I went to an environmental writers workshop. It was at a wonderful environmental Non pofit organization called Heifer Project. The headquarters are here in Little Rock Arkansas! The Heifer Ranch where we stayed was an hour away. Here is the web site for you to check out. It is very great thing to donate to, to help the hungry of the world be able to feed themselves! http://www.heifer.org/

There at Heifer Ranch they had a Global Village of Guatemala. It was a replica of a village in Guatemala to show us Americans and anyone else that goes to the Heifer Ranch what they have to live like. It is very eyeopening and I wrote a poem in Haibun form about my journey through the village.

The Writing workshop was wonderful and I learned so much. One thing I learned was how to write a form of Japanese poetry called Haibun. That is what this kind of poem is: Haibun.


A Journey Through The Global Village of Guatemala


Carefully hiking through the woods, watching my feet so as not to trip. See flowers beside water. Take a picture and move on.

cool breeze
leaves rustle
rocks crunch underfoot

Walk up cut steps in hill. Come upon huts in a group. Explore inside of huts, seeing how people live. Four flimsy walls make one hut.

walls of tin
cardboard patches
broom on dirt floor

Walking up the rocky path towards the next destination. I feel hot from the hike, so stop to take off my sweater. I take a drink of water before continuing on. I stop to watch people collecting water from the pond to pour in a trough for goats.

heat rising
cool refreshing water
observing others actions

Copyright ©2005 Countess Demetria
All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home